Resources for Woodworkers
Vermont Wood Industry Websites
- Vermont Woodlands Association
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation whose mission is to advocate for the management, sustainability, perpetuation, and enjoyment of forests through the practice of excellent forestry that employs highly integrated management practices that protect and enhance both the tangible and intangible values of forests.
- Vermont Forest Products Association
The VFPA represents all aspects of the forestry community and the member businesses and individuals that are located throughout the State of Vermont.
- Vermont Forest & Wood Products Directory (Asset Map)
This map allows consumers and industry members to locate forest and wood products resources in Vermont.
- Working Lands Enterprise Initiative Video
Want to learn more about the impacts the Vermont Working Lands Enterprise Initiative is having across our communities? Check out this great new video!
- The Vermont Woodworking School
We are a small woodworking and furniture-making school in a historic barn turned modern woodworking facility. We offer short classes and workshops, and have thirty benches for students in our long-term education programs. We offer an Immersion Program and host Burlington College’s Craftsmanship and Design Degrees and Certificates.
- Working Lands Enterprise Initiative
The 2012 Legislative session brought with it a renewed commitment to Vermonter’s values by passing the Working Lands Enterprise initiative for the management and investment of $1 million into agricultural and forestry based businesses. Want to learn more about the impacts the Vermont Working Lands Enterprise Initiative is having across our communities? Check out this great new video! http://bit.ly/1TH1GuO
- Northern Forest Center: Skilled Workforce Initiative for Wood Manufacturing
The Northern Forest Center is implementing an initiative for the secondary wood products manufacturing industry to enable the industry to build the robust, highly skilled workforce necessary to be economically competitive in the global marketplace of the 21st century.
- Vermont Wood Products Industry Portal
Portal website for VT woodworking with links to industry projects.
- The Guild of Vermont Furniture Makers
30 Vermont Craftsmen, one website.
- Vermont Woodnet
Providing education and networking opportunities for woodworkers in Vermont.
- Vermont Forest Industry Network – Launched in 2018, the Vermont Forest Industry Network creates the space for industry professionals from across the entire supply chain and trade association partners throughout the state to build stronger relationships and collaboration throughout the industry, including helping to promote new and existing markets for Vermont wood products, from high quality furniture to construction material to thermal biomass products such as chips and pellets. The Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund provides coordination services for the Network. For more information please contact Christine McGowan, 802-828-5770, email@example.com.
- Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund Business Assistance Program – VSJF provides individualized and tailored business coaching and entrepreneurial support for early and growth stage agriculture and food system, forest and wood product, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology businesses. We also offer peer to peer advising, which is a CEO level advisory service for CEO/founders and their management teams to advance executive leadership and strategic direction of their growth stage business. For more information, contact Geoff Robertson, 802-828-3753, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Flexible Capital Fund – The Flexible Capital Fund, L3C (Flex Fund) provides creative financing in the form of near equity capital (subordinated debt and royalty financing) to Vermont’s growth-stage companies in sustainable agriculture and food systems, forest products, and clean technology sectors. As the only licensed lender in Vermont to provide royalty financing, the Flex Fund invests in Vermont companies that strengthen or fill a gap in their supply chain. The Flex Fund is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) lender, which provides advisory and development resources to help portfolio companies grow. For more information, contact Flex Fund President Janice St. Onge, 802-828-0398, email@example.com
Other Useful Links
- VERMONT FOREST SECTOR SYSTEMS ANALYSIS Exploring New Market Opportunities Across Value Chains
- Vermont's Forest Economy: Advancing Creativity and Entrepreneurship in Value-Added Forest Products
- Assessment of Local Wood, Local Good, Certification Systems & Vermont Sourced Wood-2015
- VHCB Vermont Farm & Forest Viability Program
The Vermont Farm & Forest Viability Program offers one-on-one, in-depth business planning, technical assistance and management coaching to Vermont farm, food and forestry enterprises in order to improve the economic viability of Vermont's working landscape.
- Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund Flexible Capital Fund
The VSJF Flexible Capital Fund (the “Flex Fund”) recognizes that companies in rural areas like Vermont tend to be smaller and work on a less-than global scale, offering a return on investment that does not always meet venture capital levels.
- Vermont Dept. of Forests, Parks & Recreation
- USDA Value-Added Wood Products Marketing Guide for Manufacturers & Entrepreneurs
The focus of this guide is on providing "how to" advice to small wood products businesses throughout the United States for the necessary activity of marketing
- Northern Woodlands Magazine:
Includes the quarterly stumpage report from University of Vermont Extension.
- Forest Inventory
Northeast Forest Inventory and Analysis(USFS) including state summaries and access to the Eastwide Database tool for inventory analysis.
- Northeast Experiment Station
Access to Forest Service Research resources and researchers.
Vermont Sawmills and Veneer Mills Directory by VT Forests, Parks & Rec.
VHCB VT Farm & Forest Viability Presentation by Ian Hartman, VHCB, 2014
Chain of Custody Presentation by Brad Bauman, VMEC, 2012
Mass Customization Presentation by Urs Buehlmann, Virginia Tech, 2011
Profitable Growth Presentation by Lisa Henderson, VMEC, 2011
How to Drive Business with Blogging and SEO by Rich Brooks, Flyte New Media, 2010
Social Media Resources for Artists by Elissa Campbell, Blue Roof Designs, 2009
Branding & Marketing: A Primer for Artisans & Crafters by Glenn Ravdin, 2NS Marketing, Inc.
Secondary Wood Products Information Resources (excel) by Glenn Ravdin, 2NS Marketing, Inc.
Using the Vermont Brand Presentation by Glenn Ravdin, 2NS Marketing, Inc., 2007
Trade Show Tips for Woodworkers by Glenn Ravdin, 2NS Marketing, Inc.
Secondary Wood Products Industry “Branding the Industry” Kenmuir & Company, 2002